Today I’d like to address a commonly asked question “Do I need an email list before I start selling online?”
I can understand why you ask me it. Lots of the coaches and consultants I work with haven’t been collecting emails regularly, or maybe they’ve been storing them in a spreadsheet (sometimes even on piece of paper!), and sometimes they haven’t been bothering at all.
The answer is NO, you don’t need an email list BEFORE you start.
Building an email list is simply a valuable “side-effect” of your marketing – and as such, it doesn’t matter if you don’t already have one before you start. Here are my suggestions for getting started:
- Create a piece of evergreen marketing – such as an automated webinar, checklist, video or other piece of great content. Make sure it delivers great value to your clients. This piece of marketing will have two purposes – to start to build an email list but also to generate leads for your programs NOW.
- At the end of the piece of marketing – ask them to book in for a strategy session/discovery call with you where you’ll help them implement it. On the call you can run through ways you can help and if appropriate – bring them into your program
- Now give away your content – a few places to start with might be your LinkedIn profile, personal Facebook profile, Facebook Page, Twitter etc. This should get you a few downloads and start to build up your email list slowly.
- You’ll eventually want to put in place a growth strategy to increase those downloads rapidly, boost your email list and generate leads for your programs. This will involve some form of paid advertising such as Facebook Ads, Twitter Ads, and LinkedIn Ads that can be scaled – the more you spend, the more leads you’ll receive and the faster you’ll fill your programs.
- Repeat! Some prospects prefer to watch videos, some prefer webinars, some prefer to read – so make sure you have a variety of different learning methods covered.
Would you like a detailed step-by-step plan detailing how to implement these steps in YOUR business? Maybe you’d like to know how many leads you’ll need to hit your income goals, where your best prospects will hang out, how to target them effectively etc etc?